Prayer for me is a spiritual practice that I use in various ways for various reasons. Some of my prayers are very traditional, some are my very own words, some are beautiful poems or come from other traditions.
This particular prayer is known as the St. Francis Of Assisi Prayer. If you feel more comfortable, you can change the words to better fit your beliefs. The intention behind the prayer is the most powerful thing.
- Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
- where there is hatred, let me sow love;
- where there is injury, pardon;
- where there is doubt, faith;
- where there is despair, hope;
- where there is darkness, light;
- and where there is sadness, joy.
- O Divine Master,
- grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love;
- for it is in giving that we receive,
- it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.