What the heck is a calling? You can google it and you’ll get something like this:
A calling is a strong urge toward a particular way of life or career or vocation.
Oprah refers to it as a whisper.
I describe a calling as a very persistent nagging feeling that refuses to permanently go away.
Even if we know the definition, it can be hard to know if we have a calling.
Without thinking about it too hard, do you hear a whisper?
Do you have a strong urge towards some particular way in your life?
Do you have a nagging sense that looms over your day to day?
If your answered YES then you in fact have a calling. Yup. You can begin to accept the fact that you have a calling. Actually, even if you answered NO , you have a calling. This is because everyone has calling. Everyone is called to something. But, not everyone knows it and not everyone cares.
Here are 5 reasons for why you might care about your calling:
- You feel almost haunted by a nagging feeling trying to tell you something about the direction of your life.
- You pretty much know that you aren’t doing what you really want to be doing or what you feel you should be doing.
- You don’t feel satisfied with your life even though you think you should be.
- You know what you’re being called to do. !Yay! But, you’re not doing it because where would you start?
- You believe you have a calling but you don’t know what it is.
If you’re feeling any of the 5 reasons above, trust you are being called to something greater. Hearing a calling can be scary. Answering that call is even scarier. But the thing is, scared as you are, the call doesn’t go away. It’s like a credit collector! Okay, bad analogy. What I’m saying is that unless you answer the call you’ll never shake that feeling, you’ll always wonder what if, you risk living with regret and you’ll never know how awesome you really are. It’s important to face the music and get real with your calling, what you’re being called to do and what the calling is.
I heard the ringing of my call at a very early age. I was very scared. It took me a long time before I could even accept that I was being called to something. I tried ignoring it. It took me an even longer time to learn what I was being called to. The journey has been amazing. I’ve always believed that it’s God calling me.